Last night Donny and I went on our first date night in over five months. It was an interesting night for me. I left Q with my Mom and I didn't expect it to be so hard. I've left Q before but for no more than an hour. I was feeling a little stressed all day but I was really trying to embrace it and I was excited to get some time with Donny.
I spent Q's morning nap getting all his stuff packed. I packed way too much but wanted to make sure he had all the things he likes. I spent his afternoon nap trying to get myself ready. I had done my nails the night before. I spent an hour attempting to curl my hair and do something with that. I put eye makeup on and some lipstick. That's a lot of girl stuff for me!
The time finally came that I needed to load up Q and get to my Mom's house. My Mom is an amazing women. She was so nice to watch Q after she had a very long day. Plus, Q is teething, sick, and cranky. Grammy points for sure!!!
Q didn't make a sound all the way to town, which is unusual. He took a little cat nap from town to Grammy's. I had prayed most of the way into town that he wouldn't cry with Mom. Maybe taking a small nap would keep him happier.
Once at Grammy's I stalled leaving. I even cried a little. I felt so stupid! Why was this so difficult?
All those years that we waited to become parents I prayed for many things over and over. One of those things was a baby that was well attached, that loved being with Donny and I, and for a baby that would bond quickly with us. I think God took it a little too far. Grammy will be holding Q and I will only be 2 inches away and he's devastated, freaking out, and crying. During the day if I put him down he screams, A LOT. He doesn't go to sleep unless he falls asleep on me and then I have to try to carefully transfer him to the crib. If he happens to wake up during this delicate move its a fight to get him back to sleep without rocking him again. Well, God did answer my prayer. All these things make my day hard and long. I get bathroom breaks to the beautiful music of a screaming baby. I shower to the sound of crying. I make lunch, make phone calls, try to pick up the house, and wash bottles all with crying in the background. Some things just have to be done and so he has to cry for a couple of minutes. I have learned to work fast, pee fast, shower fast and get back to him, pick him up, talk to him, rock him, play with him, etc.
Even though it drains me, even though I wish he could play on his own for a few minutes, even though I wish he was better about being with other people, it does my heart good that he loves me so much. It does my heart good that he finds comfort in me, his Mama. I love that!!! But this is why it was so hard to leave him the other night. I know he's in good hands. My Mom raised four amazing woman so I know she knows what she's doing. Q just doesn't know it so he gets upset and that breaks my heart.
I finally left. I sat in my car out front of Grammy's for a few minutes waiting for who knows what, contemplating if I should run back in and double check if he's ok. I reminded myself that he needed to learn that he was ok with Grammy so I started the car and headed back to town. I prayed the whole way in asking God to keep Q happy, asking Him to help Q find comfort with Grammy, and asking Him to not let Q cry all night. Mom said she would send me updates and by the time I got to town I was wondering why she hadn't sent me one yet. Mind you, I had been gone for 15 minutes. I was freaking ridiculous!
I picked up Donny from work and date night commenced. This was the first time we had been in the car without Q. It was really weird but we were both so excited to get some time together. The night was great and lots of fun. We headed to SLO to see a friend of ours perform with his band, Goldboot, at SLO Brew. (You should check them out, they're pretty awesome. http://goldbootmusic.com/). We got there a little early so we got a coffee and just sat, talked, and people watched. So simple but so nice. Mom was sending me updates by now and Q only freaked out for 20 minutes and then fell asleep. That's pretty good for him. Mom even sent me photos. Such a good Mom and Grammy!
Once at SLO Brew we ran into our friends parents who insisted on paying for us when they found out it was our first date night since getting Q. So sweet of them!! After the concert we hit up In-N-Out and scarfed some burgers. So good!
All in all, date night was a success. Donny and I got some much needed time together, I made it through the first real time of leaving him with someone, and Q managed to not have a complete freak out. WIN!!
No comments:
Post a Comment