Just my simple thoughts on our struggle with infertility, our road to parenthood through the blessing of adoption, and how God brought us through it all.
Saturday, January 8, 2011
First appointment...
Donny and I had our first appointment with the fertility doctor on Thursday. It went really well! We really clicked with him and I already love working with him. He was really nice, listened a lot, and came up with a plan for us. So, here's what he said. First he spent some time educating us on what was really happening in my body. Normal people have hormones levels that are constantly going up and down. Mine are flat lined, there's no activity. The doc said I just had poor genetics. Ha! Thanks doc. He also said that my weight on top of that isn't helping. I knew he was going to say that so I wasn't shocked or anything. Doctors have told me that before. I have been over weight my entire life so I knew what was coming; the talk about just being healthy. The difference this time was that the doc explained to me why my weight may be adding to my already existing fertility issues. He said that when you are over weight your insulin receptors (or something like that) don't work right so then the body makes too much testosterone to compensate. And testosterone does not help someone get pregnant. So, on top of flat lined hormones I'm making too much of the wrong one. SO, the plan? #1. He wants me on the South Beach Diet, for the rest of my life! What? Are you kidding me? I've never stuck to a diet for 6 months. How in the world was I going to do one for the rest of my life. He explained that the last phase of the diet was the phase that I could live in. He said that it's just a different way of eating, a really fresh, healthy way and that by the time I get to phase three it should be really easy to continue eating that way. This specific diet helps level out the insulin stuff. I don't have diabetes but if I continue on this road I will get it so they call that prediabetes and this diet is perfect for people in that situation. He also said that Donny needed to do the diet with me so that I had the best chance for success. HAHA! Donny is so sweet and supportive to do this with me. He even cooked an all South Beach Diet dinner last night for us and it was so good! I told him he could eat whatever he wanted while at work but just not to tell me about it. :) After the appointment we went to Barnes and Noble and bought four books on the South Beach Diet and I've been reading them as fast as I can. Ok #2. He is going to also put me on meds to help the insulin stuff. He said that when the insulin stuff is where it should be it will make the fertility meds work even better. And that is the goal, to have the fertility meds work as best as they can. #3. FERTILITY MEDS!!!! Woot woot! The last thing he wanted was a few more blood tests so we hope to get those done this coming week. After that the doc will know what med he wants to put me on. Then the finances can be discussed. That's the only bad part about this process. Donny and I are trying really hard to be smart about the money side of this. We have read about a lot of people that started this process and get so into just getting a baby that they wake up one day with thousands and thousands of dollars of debt and still no baby. We really don't want our story to end up the same way. So, once we know what med the doc suggests will have some numbers to work with. The longest I'd be on this first med is 6 months. That was nice to hear because it gives an end in sight instead of just some unknown and we can easily figure out how much money the meds would cost for the whole 6 months. So, that was a lot longer then I had planned. Sorry. Just trying to get all the info in there. Overall, I'm worried about the diet since I've never been good at sticking to those but I'm ready to give it my all and I'm so, so excited to finally be on this course. We are continuing to pray pray pray about all this and just keep asking God to guide us and keep our minds clear and on His will for us. The last thing I want is to not be in His will with this. More to come next week. WOOHOO!!!!! :)
Labels:
Infertility
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm excited for you guys and I enjoyed reading this. Having said that... paragraphs wouldn't kill you.
ReplyDeleteI know, I know. Sorry. It's just like how I talk....on and on and on. :)
ReplyDelete