Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Jill...

My family and I have been trying a new church the past couple months. My new friend, Jill, was quick to say "hi" and welcome me there and a friendship was sparked very quickly. Her birthday was the other day and in my effort to save money and also re-purpose this year I made her button bobby pins, which I saw on Pinterest. Here are a few pics. Sorry, but the lighting sucked.

So, you start with some bobby pins, some buttons, and some hot glue. (Note: Next time I think I will use super glue so the back is not as bulky.)
I picked a little larger button in bright colors. The larger button shows up better and the bright colors are just fun and funky, like my new friend. :) I used a little hot glue to tack the button to the top of the bobby pin. Then, I took embroidery thread that was the same color as the button and sewed the button to the bobby pin. After tying the thread off I used a little more glue to make sure everything stayed where it should. You could also use thread that was a different color than the button for an extra funk factor. I wanted a couple to sparkle but I didn't have any buttons with glitter on them. My solution? Nail polish! I found an old bottle of white sparkle nail polish that had gone bad so it wouldn't work for painting nails but it worked great on the buttons. I put a thin coat on the blue and purple buttons and BAM!!! Sparkle factor! :)

Once the buttons were finished I had to find a way to package them. I took a piece of cardboard, covered it in tin foil, put a ribbon at the top, wrote "Happy Birthday, Jill" at the top with a sharpie and then clipped all the bobby pins on.

You can kinda see the glitter in the above pic. They were super easy to make and I was pretty stoked with how they came out. Think I'll be making more of these. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment