Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Different Outlook...

I've been thinking a lot lately about the life that I am blessed to live here in America. My brother in law is a missionary in Africa. (Check out his blog here http://brandonandhistreasures.blogspot.com/). I love reading his blog because it's such a different perspective on life then what I usually have or see here in America. I live a very comfortable life. We are not rich, we live paycheck to paycheck, but we are certainly not poor. We always have food to eat and clean clothes to wear and there is a roof over our heads. If I am sick I go to the doctor and get the meds I need to get better. But in other countries this is just not the case. Like many people I often have complaints about my life. I wish I didn't have to work, wish we had kids, wish our house was bigger, wish our debt was smaller, etc. I have spent years thinking nothing of those complaints. Aren't they normal? Doesn't everyone complain? Yes, but that doesn't mean I should or have a right to. It has only been recently that I feel like God is challenging me on this. Or maybe this is just the first time I've been willing to try and change my thinking. I try and read my brother in laws blog almost everyday because it helps to keep the issue at the front of my mind. Over there, in Africa, God seems to move in amazing ways that we just don't hear about here. He heals people over there with no medication! I asked my brother in law about that one time and he told me that over there people are often so poor that they can't pay a doctor let alone pay for the meds they need so all they have is prayer and the Lord. All they have is trust and belief in the Lord. So, they pray and they have their friends pray for healing. When was the last time I even tried that before running off to the doctor? I can't even tell you, probably because I never have. I'm not saying don't ever go to the doctor. God has blessed doctors with bright minds and we are blessed to have them. And God works in different ways in different places. For me personally, I feel like I turn to doctors first before I turn to God. That should not be the case, ever! Even if I do see a doctor I should at least have a word with the Lord before getting out of the car and walking into that office, asking Him to give the doctor wisdom in what might be wrong and how to treat it. It's that mind set of trusting God, going to Him first, and depending on Him rather then others. I admit I just don't have that mind set that I should. That is what I want to change, what I'm trying to change. Of course, changing the way I think is going to change other parts of my life as well. Already, I'm wanting to purge my house. I feel like I have too much stuff, more then I need to survive. What do I have that I don't need that could benefit someone else or that I could sell and donate the money to a charity or something? Donny and I talked a little this afternoon about what I was thinking and feeling and he seems on board for purging the house, little by little. I appreciate him so much for supporting me in what I'm trying to do and being so willing to put up with me throwing stuff out. We'll see how this goes. Of course, I'll keep you updated. :)

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, hon. I never thought about this kind of stuff when I was your age. You rock! God will do great things with you. And props to Donny too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purge it!!! I've done that before and it was a blessing.

    Also, your brother in law sounds AMAZING!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmmm......are we related or somethins? My thoughts exactly!!! In fact, after getting back from camping today where the kids played with rocks, sticks, and found bottle caps (I experimented and didn't bring toy trucks like last time)I realized how much stuff they have that they never touch. I'd much rather them get outside and play with God's creation than all the plastic crap. So just today I filled a 13 gallon tote full of plastic crap. I know, I'm embarrased to even admit it. Then I got on here and read this. Guess we must be sisters or something. :)

    ReplyDelete