Things That Have Changed In My Life....
1) I appreciate a shower and a bathroom break. I never appreciated these things before. Now they are borderline luxuries. :)
2) I used to close down a party! Now I am the first to leave so I can get the baby to bed before he has a life altering melt down.
3) A 10 minute conversation with my husband never used to be long enough for me. Now its pretty awesome if we get 10 minutes to chat without interruption.
4) I used to have long beautiful nails that I painted every week. Now I keep my nails cut very short and not painted so the baby can suck on my fingers.
5) I used to plan my life around my schedule. Now I plan coffee dates around the baby's naps.
6) I used to run the dishwasher every other day. Now its every day so the bottles get sanitized.
7) I used to say that my arms ached for a baby to hold. Now they ache from holding, bouncing, and rocking a sweet, clingy, teething boy all day.
8) Laundry used to be my stuff, Donny's stuff, and sheets. Now I find little things that get mixed in with mine like tiny socks, hats, and shirts. Makes me smile every time. :)
9) No space is just my own anymore. For example, I find weird things in our bed now like burp rags, pacis, and baby blankets. Like the laundry, this also makes me smile.
10) I rarely eat a full meal. During the day I eat whatever I can shove in my mouth while making the next bottle. Getting to sit down and actually eat is pretty awesome and something I took for granted before having Q.
Just a few things in my life that have changed. But I'm not complaining! I have waited and worked for five years for this. That's why so many of these things make me laugh. I never used to find pacis in my bed because there wasn't a baby here. Now there is a baby here, my baby. My baby boy who loves his pacis and so they find their way to all corners of our house. I find that part of my weekly routine is doing a house sweep to round up all the pacis. :)
As with anything else in life, if you've waited and worked for something you tend to appreciate it more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I appreciate being a mom more than other moms. I've just noticed that things that other moms complain about are things that don't bother me, things that I actually enjoy. I think this is the case because there was a time in my life when I thought this was never going to happen. The process to become parents, parents to a newborn, was so hard. It was long, stressful, expensive, and difficult. Did I mention stressful?
On hard days like today I remind myself that I dreamed of this. I know it sounds crazy but I did. That's how bad I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to experience it all. I wanted to be sleep deprived, I wanted to have spit up stuck to my clothes, I wanted to (and still want to) drive a minivan. :) The changes in life make me smile because they are a reminder that this has finally and really happened. I am finally a mom, we are finally parents. This sweet boy is ours! Almost four months in to parenthood and I still can hardly believe it.
Thank you God for this amazing blessing!!!!
(Taken on 7/16/14)
<3 #7 Love you!
ReplyDelete