Once we brought Q home it quickly became apparent to me that this was going to be a big task. And so, for the last 8 months I have spent almost every evening picking baby things up from all over the house, getting them in Q's room, and then taking time to clean his room. It's toys, books, stuffed animals, clothes, burp rags, socks, bibs, pacifiers, etc. How does one small person have so many belongings?! I was getting tired of this chore.
I started losing the battle to the toys and books slowly. At first I stopped cleaning his room every night, then I stopped picking up the house every night. When Q started crawling we started leaving a small basket of toys in the living room. When family came for the holidays we moved Q out of his room so that people could sleep in there. The small basket of toys in the living room was switched out for a little bigger basket and more toys were added.
During the holidays I had to start picking up all the toys every night again as we needed the living room space. And one night, much to my disappointment, I finally admitted to myself that I had lost. The toys had won. I needed to accept it, embrace it, and move on. The hunt was on for a toy and book storage solution that would fit in our small living room.
I really liked the cube storage from Ikea and was able to find a knock off from Target for less money. It doesn't take up too much space, fits all his toys and books, I think it looks great, and it's versatile. When he's older we can use it for our stuff, move it into his bedroom, or move it to some where else in the house. Donny put it together last night for me and this morning Q was able to get whatever toys or books he wanted. Score! Now to get him to clean up after himself. :/
Our new storage solution!
No comments:
Post a Comment